Saturday, January 15, 2005

Ordinariness

Humans have only two possibilities in life, he said dogmatically: 1) to participate in the process, 2) to become the results of the process. (And it's pointless to argue, there is no process, are no results - just look around, at your CRT, etc., results of process.)



This imaginary division can be seen in only one way, by his speech. Humans become the results of their words, expressed either to themselves alone, or to others. Never silent, humans are the result of the process.



Someone "experiences" something they note as being "something" substantial enough to comment upon, and express their comment: they have become the results of the process. Never silent, he is the result of the process.



This is the source of the notion, often expressed as, a man is known by the company (of words) he keeps (speaks); and, as one thinks (of words), so does one become (speaks).



Humans, only (not non-humans which can't speak to us), exist in a never-neverland, a fiction, between Process and Results-of-process, like a fence-rider, eternal, unchanging, willing.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~



In my youth, to reach the city, I walked along the pasture separating our farm from the city road, which was bounded by the most wonderful fence stretching miles, and it was just wide enough to support me the full distance from our farm to the small city we called, Our Town.



While riding that fence, twice a day, I realized that falling was always a possibility, but the outcome always uncertain. That is, I always, "could" fall, but equally - since I hadn't yet - "into what", "landing where", "then what", remained as before, wholly uncertain. That is, I was literally straddling the edge of Infinite Eternity in all dimensions. As far as that little fence-rider, me, was concerned, I was at the center of reality, and non-reality.



This, for me, enlightened the muse of spirituality as distinct from the muse of externality/materiality - themselves straddling the fence by signifying one side or the other of my, narrow fence of possibilities. That is, from the pursuit of worldly fame, money, in the city I was forever travelling to, began the pursuit of spirituality.



It was simply staying on the fence, until I jumped down.

While walking, walk. When done, stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment