Monday, May 24, 2004

The guy and the mystic

Consider this story:

Rendition 1

A guy meets a mystic, and says "I've been searching for a fabled city, but after all this time, I do not even know where I'm headed anymore". Mystic says: "That, in you that doesn't know where you're going, knows where you want to go - and that's not an allegory."



Rendition 2

A guy meets a mystic, and says "I've been trying to achieve the enlightened mind, and once, I achieved the higher enlightened mind state, and it was quite impressive, though I've never achieved it again, so I'm still trying." Mystic says: "You know the mind you're in right now? That's the only mind there is - there IS no other." Guy: "That's not true. I experienced the higher mind once before." Mystic: Yes, it's true, you have only ONE mind, only ONE state of mind, and you're in it right now."



You have got to realize that you are much less certain that you know what you're doing, than you were years ago - if not, you've not made any progress at all. The part of you, that doesn't know - the ignorant, stupid part - is the part that knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment