Monday, May 10, 2004

The Exclusivity Club

I once joined a group, well, they allowed me to join, who were already large in number, and well-known to each other. Joining such an enclave, as the heretofore outcast, I was immediately and continuously aware of the fact, that I didn't have a clue how to behave, neither around the others, nor around the leader; I think Fred was his name, Smith or Something.



In the first month of daily gatherings, many people were "asked" to leave, not "You're Fired!", so much as, hinted to in the most, most vaguest of terms (ugh, that really rolls off the tongue doesn't it?), such as - I heard - having a certain dream last night in bed (and then, *he* left), or overhearing a passing shopper in the foodstore yesterday (and then, *she* left), etc.



One day, someone approached the leader, and timidly attempted to ask one of his, "heart-felt" questions, something really "near-and-dear", etc., and he said, "Uh, Master Smith, could I, uh, ask you a question?" And, after an odd look back at him, and the longest second I'd ever witnessed, he leaned into the ear of the questioner, and momentarily, he started for the door, and I never saw him again. Huh?!?!



Another day, another person tried to ask her question, and said, "Hi, swami Fred, ...?" And, well you guessed it. And I never saw her again.



So, I started to realize that there must be a book of rules, somewhere, and I missed getting my copy. So I set about a plan to acquire this RuleBook, because if people were being ushered out for name-calling improprieties, then either the list is a mile long, and couldn't be handed to someone anyway (to big, too bulky, too many pages), or, it hasn't been written down yet, and everybody is in exactly the same position as me - an absolute outsider, and absolute beginner, and discovering the "RuleBook to Enlightenment" doesn't yet exist - for anyone.



Oh Fuck! (said he, after it became clear that his perceptions were connecting with his thought processes and they to his deepist, inner-most feelings of awe and wonder.) Eeek!



Just as instantly, (said he) he got up from his seat, and calmly walked out the door.



The few of the few just got a little bit fewer.

Phew!





No comments:

Post a Comment